I don’t know about everyone else but week on week we can end up cooking the same things. We are trying to convert Josh to just eating what we do and whilst he eats away in creche he puts up a fight at home! So at the moment we relish our dinner on our own once he is in bed…
I asked some of my mama pals to send some of thier regular dishes that may or may not be kids friendly depending on how fussy your brood is. Enjoy and happy quick and tasty cooking!
I’ll start with me..
Kelly, Mama to Josh 2 and one on the way!
I got this one from a recent Gino Di Campo series but it’s so easy, tasty and ones kids will love! It’s become a regular on our weekly menu.
- Chicken fillets
- Breadcrumbs mixed with parmasen
- 1/2 eggs
- Chopped tomatoes
- Dried Oregano or Basil
- Salt, Pepper and a little pinch of sugar
- Fresh mozzerella
- Make your rich tomato sauce by combining the chopped tomatoes, garlic, herbs and seasoning. Reduce until well cooked and a rich sauce.
- Bash the chicken fillets in a bag until they are pretty flat
- Dip the chicken in the egg and then the breadcrumb mix.
- Fry the chicken in a pan on each side until golden and cooked through.
- Place some of the tomato sauce and 2 slices for mozzerella on top.
- Serve with salad.
Gill, Mama to Tom, 3
Roasted Veg Cous Cous
- Cous cous with garlic, chilli, squeeze of lime juice.
- Oven roast veg… Courgette, sweet potatoes, onion, peppers,
- Serve with the cous Cous and garnish with chopped coriander and natural yoghurt.
Delish healthy and quick!
Kate, Mama to Conor 4 & Ben 2
Bacon, Pea & Mint Pasta
- Chop and fry 3-4 rashers in a pan with some oil.
- Mid-way through cooking add in one clove of crushed garlic.
- Meanwhile blanch some frozen peas.
- Add the peas to the pan, followed by some chopped fresh mint, lemon zest and crème fraiche.
- Add in some grated parmesan and allow to reduce down a little.
- Add in cooked penne pasta and stir well allowing the sauce to fully coat the pasta.
- Season & serve with some extra parmesan on top
A tasty one that kids should enjoy!
Ly, Mama to Aoife 2 with one about to arrive!
Ly cooks a lot of her own mamas dishes from Asia but she dig out this recipe for me that she has been using lately and loves.. Aoife is a fan of chilli but maybe adjust to your tots taste or just enjoy yourself wrapped in cos lettuce leaves or served with rice/noodles!
Thai Basil Chicken
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped)
- 10 oz ground chicken
- 6 bird’s eye chilies, chopped and pounded with a mortar and pestle, or 1-2 fresh jalapeno cut into slivers
- 1 1/4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon palm sugar or sugar to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon kecap manis or sweet soy sauce
- 1 big bunch Thai basil leaves, lower stems removed
- 3 dashes white pepper
- Add the oil into a heated wok, follow by the chopped garlic and shallots. Stir fry the garlic and shallots until aromatic, then add the ground chicken into the wok. Use the spatula to quickly stir-fry and break the ground chicken meat into small lumps.
- When the chicken meat changes color, toss in the chilies, fish sauce, palm sugar, and sweet soy sauce. Stir to combine well. Add in the basil leaves and do a few quick stirs until the basil leaves wilted and you smell the exotic fragrance of the basil leaves. Add the white pepper into the dish, do a final stir, dish out and serve immediately.
Ash, Mama to Jake, 3 and Flynn 1
Ash lives in Sydney but it’s not all barbies in the sunshine. She cooks this as its one her kids love and she uses up left over veg which is handy too!
Easy Tuna Pasta
Boiled pasta, then mixed it with Veg left over from night before(all mashed up), lots of grated cheese & a tin of tuna.
So those 5 recipes should get you through from Monday to Friday.. Even adding one new dish to the mix will make a nice change! And sure by the weekend then kick back grab a pizza from the freezer and relax.
*This one from Aldi is really nice by the way and only €3.99! 😉